Fun Friday Post: Bouquet

a child's bouquet
3860 views

Bouquet

Elizabeth Laing Thompson

Weeds upon my windowsill,

tickled by a breeze,

gifts from chubby, grubby hands,

picked with pride for me.

Bruised by clumsy, eager fists,

petals all askew,

still they bob and wink and wave

and whisper, “She loves you.”

Poetry for mothers...when children pick flowers

When children pick flowers

Author: Elizabeth Laing Thompson VIEW ALL AUTHORS POSTS

Elizabeth works from home as a writer, editor, diaper changer, baby snuggler, laundry slayer, not-so-gourmet chef, kid chauffeur, floor mopper, dog groomer, and tantrum tamer. She is always tired, but it's mostly the good kind.

14 comments

Comments
  • Sharon March 20, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Beautiful. I loved it 🙂 I read it while sitting here looking at a too crowded bulletin board full of colored and painted pages! I was just about to throw them out because the board after all, is supposed to be for my organization….but what’s one more week of being reminded how loved I am by these precious gifts!! Thank you 🙂

• Elizabeth Laing Thompson March 20, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Oh my goodness, I just did the same thing. I had this lovely stack of colored pages in hand, ready to recycle, and I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away. I told myself I am saving them to use as cards and wrapping paper, to justify keeping them. 😀

• GiGi March 20, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Wonderful to have confirmation of all these years of saving!
    I like the idea of using them for cards and wrapping paper.
    Do you think the kids would appreciate them 40 years later?

• Elizabeth Laing Thompson March 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Hahaha, SURE they will!

• KC March 20, 2015 at 7:06 pm

This is so sweet, it has been awhile since my kids have picked me any dandelions, they are older now and understand that they are weeds. I sure did used to have vases full of them though.

• Elizabeth Laing Thompson March 20, 2015 at 7:28 pm

How I love those kid-filled vases! Mine are filled right now with dandelions, tiny purple and white weeds that I can’t identify, and camellia blooms that shed like crazy, but look nice in water for a day. 😀

• Chris Carter March 20, 2015 at 7:37 pm

AW!! That is absolutely precious!!! I just love it. <3

• Elizabeth Laing Thompson March 20, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Aw, thanks, Chris!

• Mary Collins March 20, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Oh, how sweet! My mother use to do the same thing with the flowers I picked for her when I was little. Such a loving act.

• Elizabeth Laing Thompson March 21, 2015 at 11:53 am

Aw, sweet!

• Jessica Macias March 21, 2015 at 2:54 am

Wow! I guess this sounds awful, but I always threw them away. I appreciated it but just didn’t know what to do with them. The flowers my little three year old almost 4 gets me makes me feel loved. Reading through the responses has given me the idea to ” hello” put them in a vase. Thank you!!! Embarassed but encouraged!

• Elizabeth Laing Thompson March 21, 2015 at 11:54 am

Haha better go buy some little bud vases! Sometimes I end up with a wad of them in a bowl. 😉

• Debbie W. March 21, 2015 at 12:46 pm

How cute! Can’t wait to get them from my grandsons. I taught kindergarten a few weeks ago and a little girl brought me a flower from recess.

• Elizabeth Laing Thompson March 21, 2015 at 1:12 pm

That means you were doing a wonderful job as a sub, then! You know they love you when they bring you flowers!