Peace, Love, and Starbucks

2191 views

Peace, Love, and Starbucks… or perhaps I should call this my Ode to Starbucks…

This is so random. I’m sitting in my favorite Starbucks—I like to think of it as MY Starbucks—and seriously, these two women just walked in, all jaunty and happy. One of them loudly announced, “Hello, Starbucks family!” She received a warm greeting from the crew behind the counter. And then, seconds later, this sweet elderly couple walked outside, and the woman smiled and waved and spoke to me, as if we were old friends, even though my face was buried in my laptop. See? This is why I love this place! We are a bizarre caffeine-addicted community/support group. Perhaps we encourage one another’s addictions, but at least, there is lots of love. Coffee= love? Has Starbucks held the keys to life all this time? They’re not just selling coffee, they’re selling belonging, kindness, world peace.

Author: Elizabeth Laing Thompson VIEW ALL AUTHORS POSTS

Elizabeth works from home as a writer, editor, diaper changer, baby snuggler, laundry slayer, not-so-gourmet chef, kid chauffeur, floor mopper, dog groomer, and tantrum tamer. She is always tired, but it's mostly the good kind.

9 comments

Comments
  • susan balsom borland April 26, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Elizabeth – this is so funny! As a girl who worked at Starbucks all through college, the staff is supposed to make the environment called “third place.” you have work, you have home and then starbucks, your third place. Clearly, YOUR starbucks has achieved that goal! Good luck to you, your website is AMAZING, and the books seems like it will be a hit! I liked voting on the cover, it made me feel like I was involved.

• Lizzy Lit April 28, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Sorry my responses are a little jumbled in their order right now… I’m still learning how this all works. I will get better, I promise… especially if people keep responding! 🙂

• Robin Weidner April 27, 2010 at 11:03 am

Hey there,
    Just wanted to say congrats on the new blog and site. Super cool! Just wondering if you used a certain blog engine to do all this (-: Ironically, I am sitting in Starbucks right now, working on my second book (Eve’s Song). Nobody has yelled, “Hey, Starbuck’s family,” so we have a ways to go here. But this is my place I can come escape phones and my messy house screaming, “Clean me! Please clean me!” Anyways, love the covers for the new book (I voted for #2). Best of luck with your journey!

• admin April 28, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Thanks, Robin! Mmm… well your book is bound to be a winner, with the Starbucks magic interwoven into its soul… just kidding, now I’m taking the adulation a bit far, I think. But have fun, I love the excitement of writing something new! Love the title, I’m sure it will be wonderful. The site is a WordPress site—does that help? A brilliant and generous friend helped me get it all set up, since I am a borderline techno-idiot. 🙂 Thanks for the vote and for checking out the site! Keep in touch…

• admin April 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm

That’s great, Susan, thanks for the comment! You brought peace and love to the world all through college, eh? And yes, we really have an awesome Starbucks in town. I would know, seeing as I nearly pay rent there. 🙂 Hope life is treating you well, and hope you enjoy the book when it comes out!

• Geri Laing April 27, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I just realized where you got you love of Starbucks’ Mochas! When you were little (and when I was pregnant with you!) I LOVED International Coffee’s Swiss Mocha. Drank it all the time. Of course this was before there was Starbucks. So you can blame it on me…..

• admin April 28, 2010 at 9:04 pm

You see? I knew it wasn’t my fault! I am genetically disposed to mocha debauchery. Think I’m gonna go get one now—it’s so nice to have a ready excuse.

• Carol Anne Shapiro April 28, 2010 at 11:09 am

You should write advertisements for Starbucks. Rake in the dough with this stuff.

• admin April 28, 2010 at 9:03 pm

It’s true… Starbucks, I am here, waiting for your call.